Friday 30 April 2021

Notes from the past

Usually when I return to EVE from a long hiatus, I spend the first few days (or even weeks!) trying to figure out what I was doing last time I played. Hours spent trawling through my assets page trying to work out why my stuff is scattered halfway across New Eden. Scrolling through bookmarks, old mail messages and killmails trying to piece things together.

This last hiatus was a particularly long one, and I hadn't blogged since 2012, so there were no clues to be found in these pages either. I remembered some things about my last stint in New Eden, in particular losing a large chunk of ISK to a gate camp (as mentioned in my last blog), but some of the more nuanced stuff eluded me. Things like what I was planning to do, what skills I was training and why, where I had my home station and why... lots of things that I couldn't figure out!

Then the other day I was going through all the menus in the neocom thingy, trying to find the jukebox (I guess that died a long time ago, huh?) when I stumbled across the Notepad. Honestly, I'd forgotten there even was a notepad in EVE, so I was curious to see whether I'd ever written anything in there.

Lo and behold there were actually notes in there! Some API keys, some notes about a wormhole system I must have lived in at some point... and two others that seemed very intruiging.


It appears that past me had thought it would be helpful to write down his plans and what he was aiming for. December was clearly the time I felt most reflective... or maybe it's just something about the winter that makes me want to play EVE? Anyway, the notes themselves were all about what I was planning, where I was and what I was training. Basically the exact information I'd been trying to pull from the depths of my memory for the past week!


So 2014 me wanted to get into Covert Ops ships, mining frigates, battleships and Tech 2 cruisers. I have a vague memory of trying station trading and being awful at it, and to this day my only experience of 'noob pvp' has been me exploding while frantically clicking buttons trying to run away.


Fast-forward to December 2016 and we've got a bit more information here. Seems like I was only an Alpha Clone at the time but I definitely remember upgrading to Omega at some point. And I definitely made it into Covert Ops ships because that got me blown-up in null-sec just before I stopped playing last time.

It's pretty interesting to see my thought process of what to do, as they're all the same questions I've been asking myself this time around too. I've definitely managed to consolidate my assets this time, so that's an achievement of some sort... now I just need to figure out the rest!

I was really happy to find these notes - I find EVE incredibly overwhelming a lot of the time, so being able to have something like this, even if it's a bit lacking in detail at times, was a great find.

I'm not sure if this will have been interesting for anyone who happens to stumble across this blog, but I'm planning to continue writing little notes to my future self while I try and figure out what to do next!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Venture Adventures!

Recently I've been quite taken with the idea of hopping in a Venture and doing some gas mining. I've always liked the expedition fri...